University of Oxford knocks California Institute of Technology (CIT), into second place and has become the first UK University to top the list of 2016-17 World University Rankings.
In the 12-year history of Times Higher Education World University Rankings table, for the first time Oxford hit the list this year.
Earlier, California Institute of Technology is the top performer for the five consecutive years.
Every year, the Times Higher Education ranks worldwide universities on the measures of teaching, research, international outlook and citations.
On the other side India’s leading university the Indian Institute of Science, is claiming a spot in the 201-250 band by making its highest ever position in World University Rankings Table.
Two new Asian universities namely Chinese University of Hong Kong and Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, make the top 100 and another four join the top 200. Nations in Asia stands out when looking at country level in the list.
Singapore comes top when analyzing the highest average scores by countries and Hong Kong stands second for teaching, third for research and fourth for citations.
Below are the top twenty Universities in descending order.
- University of Oxford, UK
- California Institute of Technology, US
- Stanford University, US
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US
- Harvard University, US
- Princeton University, US
- Imperial College London, UK
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
- University of Chicago, US
- University of California, Berkeley, US
- Yale University, US
- University of Pennsylvania, US
- University of California, Los Angeles, US
- University College London, UK
- Columbia University, US
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, US
- Duke University, Durham, US
- Cornell University, US
- Northwestern University, US